NBI CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE
NBI Clearance (Important Note: The applicant, who can be a foreign national who has lived in the PH, may secure, fill-out, and have his/her fingerprint card authenticated by the Embassy, but the actual NBI Clearance Certificate must be secured by the applicant’s authorized representative in the Electronic Data Processing Division [EDPD] in NBI Taft Avenue, Manila.)
For first-time applicants of an NBI Clearance Certificate:
- Secure a Fingerprint Card form from the Embassy and fill-out the personal data called for on both sides of the card truthfully and legibly.
- In case you are a married woman, the order of writing your name is as follows:
- Your maiden surname (father’s surname);
b. Your husband’s surname;
c. Your first name or given name
d. Your maternal surname (family name of your mother)
- Attach a latest copy of your 2″ x 2″ photograph with white background (taken within three (3) months prior to your application).
- Have your fingerprints impressed (ROLLED IMPRESSION) on the appropriate spaces.
- Have the Fingerprint Card form authenticated by the Embassy/Consulate so that the document can be considered legal for use in the Philippines (Fee: RMB190.00). Once authenticated by the Embassy, the application is considered “accomplished”.
- SENDING INSTRUCTIONS: The accomplished form may be sent to the NBI through a representative in the Philippines. Send the accomplished form to your representative, along with a signed letter authorizing him/her to transact business on your behalf. This authorization letter must be consularized/legalized by the Philippine Embassy (Notarized Special Power of Attorney, Fee: RMB190.00). Your relative may visit the office of the Electronic Data Processing Division (EDPD) in NBI Taft Avenue, Manila for further assistance.
- Upon receipt of your NBI clearance certificate, please examine it for the presence of the embossed NBI DRY SEAL at its lower left portion. The clearance is invalid without it. You must also affix your clear and properly taken THUMBPRINT on the space provided for on the clearance certificate before submitting it to the end-user.
For applicants renewing their NBI Clearance Certificate:
If you have your original Personal Copy of your NBI clearance issued from 2014 onwards, simply send that certificate to the NBI office for renewal, along with:
- 2″ x 2″ photograph with white background (taken within three (3) months prior to your application);
2. Fee of PHP 200.00.
3. Photocopy of your passport with date stamped proving your presence abroad;
4. Update any information that needs to be updated on your old clearance certificate, or else write Same Data if there are no changes. Renewal only allows changes in address and purpose of clearance;
5. If there would be changes in your NAME, DATE OF BIRTH and PLACE OF BIRTH, you are advised to fill-up the form for new applicants and attach a photocopy of your Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate as proof on changes applied.
6. Follow the same SENDING instructions as above.
If your clearance was issued prior to 2014 or you have lost your personal copy of the certificate, follow the instructions for first -time applicants.
Last revised June 2020.
Apostille and Authentication in the Philippines
While Apostille is the process of authentication and legalization of documents among countries who are part of the Hague Apostille Convention starting 1961, Authentication, on the other hand, is the process of validating and legalizing of documents for those countries who aren’t part of this convention. Thus, Apostille and Authentication can be perceived as processes that provide same result, but just differs whether or not the country is Apostillized or not.
How to Apostille a document in Philippines
Step 1: A fee for validation of each document;
Step 2: Duly fill out the Certificate of Authentication Request Form that includes the follow information:
- Name of Requesting Country;
- Contact Details;
- Address as to where the documents should be mailed; and
- For documents considered minor, indicate the name of the individual requesting for the document(s).
Step 3：Apostille in DFA.
If you will be submitting documents through a proxy, the authorized representative shall present the following:
- Original and photocopy of the authorized representative valid ID;
- Duly signed Special Power of Attorney from the applicant; and
- Photocopy of the applicant’s ID with signature.
Processing time: 7-9 working days.
The following documents used to be part of certification:
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Death Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Single Status Affidavit
- Background Checking
- Power of Attorney
- Photocopy of Passport
- Photocopy of Driver’s License
- Transcript of Records (TOR)
- Authorization letter
- Travel to Permit
- Articles of Incorporation
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Certificate of Free Sale
- Certificate of Origin
- Corporate Power of Attorney
- Commercial Invoice
- 申请人正式签署的特别授权书； 和